Saturday, January 7, 2012

She's two!!

Well, my sweet little girl turned 2 this week!! Where has the time gone!! I am so proud of her, she is such a sweet thing. She is a petite little girl, she has finally hit the 20 pound mark! But she is such a kind little soul and she is such a cuddle bug. Oh she just melts my heart :)

Her sibling were much more excited about her birthday that she was.  The twins are 4, so now they are understanding things and really getting into these celebrations and milestones.  K is my big helper.  This year we decided to make little miss a backpack of her own (I used this Moda bakeshop pattern and made some of my own changes along the way). So off to the fabric store we all went (and this I must say was a big challenge with 4 year old twins and an almost 2 year old!!) to look for just the right fabric for this special backpack. K being the girl that she is, and one who already LOVES fabric and sewing, went right to the pinks. I let K pick out the fabric for her sisters backpack. Oh and how I wish I had a camera handy to take a picture of her. She was very proud of her choice and carried the bolt of fabric. (Yup, I am a proud mama that my kids are right into the sewing). Once we found the fabric, off to the buttons to find just the right one. My little man W took charge of this. He carried the buttons and thread all the way home :)

Once we finally got the chance to get going, the twins helped me cut the fabric (that would be watching mainly, but also included smoothing out fabric, and taking away the scraps which they always claim). Then the pinning. The would take turns handing me the pins, and in between passing me pins, they would pin their scraps, and they are amazing as they know to be very careful with the pins as they are sharp and can be pokey.

I was able to do most of the sewing when they were asleep, but the last bit of sewing I had to do, they were there right beside me. K was so excited when it was done, she was very content with the finished product. On   little misses birthday, I think that K was more excited to give it, than little miss was to receive it. And let me tell you, little miss was over the moon excited. She wore the backpack for at least an hour, and now uses it daily!

Here are some pictures of the finished product (sadly I do not have any pictures of little miss using this just yet!) I just love this backpack. I have made a few of these already, it really is a great simple pattern!
Here is the finished product. Love the choice of fabric

here is the button that we chose, I love the detail

back view of the backpack

and the inside, I used the same fabric as the outside
So, this was my first finish of 2012.  I have a few projects that I need to finish, and I am hoping to have a great successful year in completing many things and getting lots of sewing time in. I need to research methods of Quilt As You Go techniques. I have a fantastic sewing machine, but its just a tiny domestic machine, and the throat is just not big enough to handle a quilt for quilting. And since a new quilting machine is not in my budget, the next best thing I can think of is QAYG techniques. Does anyone have any ideas of great resources, or tutorials or books that would show me some great ways to complete quilts this way?

Hope you all have a great weekend!!

C :)


1 comment:

Leo said...

wow that's lovely .. perfect for a little pink Lady!